Your Top Questions Answered by ATI about the TEAS Exam
The ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) Exam is a standardized test used by many nursing schools and allied health programs to assess a candidate's readiness for their program.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the ATI TEAS Exam:
- What is the ATI TEAS Exam? The ATI TEAS Exam is a standardized test used to evaluate a candidate's basic academic skills, such as reading, math, science, and English language usage. It is designed to assess whether a candidate has the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in a nursing or allied health program.
- How is the TEAS structured? The TEAS is divided into four sections: reading, math, science, and English and language usage, and is given in that specific order. Each section of the exam is timed separately, you must complete a section before moving on to the next section of the exam. You may go back and forth to questions within a section, however, once you close that section and move on to the next part of the exam, you cannot go back and change any answers. The test has 170 questions, with 20 of them being unscored pretest questions. The exam is timed, with a total duration of 209 minutes.
- What is the passing score for the TEAS? There is no universal passing score for the TEAS, as each nursing school or allied health program sets its own minimum score requirement. However, a competitive score is typically around 70-75% or a proficient level of preparedness. It's important to check with the specific program you're applying to for their minimum score requirement. See a sample score report.
- How do I register for the TEAS? First, check with the school(s) to where you plan to apply. Each school determines how you should register and take the TEAS Exam. Some schools choose to handle registration and execution of the TEAS exam themselves while others choose to use ATI for registration and exam proctoring. For all testing methods, you'll need to create an account with ATI to get your results and send transcripts.
- How much does the TEAS cost? The cost of the TEAS varies depending on the testing location and any additional services you choose. Typically, the exam fee ranges from $65 to $125.
- How should I prepare for the TEAS? There are various resources available to help you prepare for the TEAS, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It's a good idea to create a study plan, focus on your weaker areas, and dedicate consistent time to studying in the weeks leading up to the exam. We highly suggest our ATI TEAS SmartPrep self-paced tutorial for focused preparation. It begins by giving you a pre-test that will determine your strengths and weaknesses within the TEAS content areas. Next, SmartPrep will produce a self-guided study program based on your personal results. More information about SmartPrep. And best of all, SmartPrep has been proven to raise scores by more than 7.5%.
- Can I retake the TEAS if I don't achieve my desired score? Yes, you can retake the TEAS. However, there may be a waiting period between attempts, which varies depending on the testing location and the nursing school or allied health program you're applying to. It's important to check the retake policy for your specific program. If you are taking a TEAS at ATI exam, the retake policy is 14 days between attempts.
- How long are TEAS scores valid? TEAS scores are typically valid for 2 years, but some schools may have different requirements. It's best to check with the program you're applying to for their specific policy on TEAS score validity.
- When will I receive my TEAS scores? You will receive your TEAS scores immediately upon completing the computer-based test. However, it may take up to 48 hours for your scores to be available in your ATI account. Some schools choose to shut off automatic scoring. It is best to check with the program you’re applying to in order to understand their policies.
- How do I send my TEAS scores to schools? You can send your TEAS scores to schools through your ATI account. There may be an additional fee for sending scores to multiple schools or for sending scores after the initial test date. Check with the specific program you're applying to for their requirements on score submission.
- Do I need to have a calculator?
No. A calculator will be provided. If you are taking the exam via a computer, a calculator is built into the exam. If you are taking a paper/pencil exam, the proctor will provide a calculator. The same calculator you will use during the TEAS exam is a part of our ATI TEAS Online Practice Tests as well as our ATI TEAS SmartPrep Tutorial.
- Can I have a drink, snack, or tissues on my desk during the exam?
No matter if you are taking your TEAS Exam at home or at a school/testing center, you may only have a clean sheet of 8 ½ x 11 scratch paper on your desk along with two number 2 pencils. You should not have anything else on your desk when you are taking the TEAS exam. If you are taking a remote (at-home) exam, check out this article on room set-up.
- Can I have scratch paper on my desk during the exam? Yes, you can use a sheet of 8 ½” x 11” scratch paper or a small whiteboard to help work through questions on the TEAS exam. It must be blank and without any writing prior to the start of the TEAS exam. Scratch paper may be used for both online (at-home) proctored exams and in-person proctored exams. Follow this link for more information on scratch paper.
- How do I set up my room for an at-home TEAS Exam? Before taking the remote (at-home) version of the ATI TEAS Exam, it is important to make sure that your exam environment is set up for success. The following tips will allow you to go through your exam with as few technical difficulties and distractions as possible. Follow this link to room requirements.
- Can I take a break during my TEAS Exam? Yes, you may take a short 10-minute break following the completion of the math section of the ATI TEAS Exam. During this time, you may use the restroom, get a quick drink of water, etc. This break is available during remote (at-home) testing and in-person at an institution or testing center.
- Can I wear headphones during the exam? No, wearing headphones is considered a testing accommodation. In order to wear headphones, you will need to have an approved accommodation request.
- How do I submit a TEAS Exam Accommodation? Accommodations are available for all ATI TEAS Exams. However, accommodation requests and submissions vary by test location and most require 30-day notice. Click for more information on testing accommodations.
- Can I reschedule my ATI TEAS Exam? You may reschedule your ATI TEAS Exam for a fee of $15. Some restrictions apply - please view our policy for more information.